We are pleased to announce the International Conference on Tourism, Ethics and Global Citizenship: Connecting the Dots, which will be held in Apeldoorn, The Netherlands on 3-6 July 2017. More information about the event and the call for contributions is listed below. Also visit our website www.saxion.nl/ctd<http://www.saxion.nl/ctd>.
Saxion University of Applied Sciences | Research Group Ethics & Global Citizenship
NHTV, Breda University of Applied Sciences | Academy for Tourism
Wageningen University | Cultural Geography Group
INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON TOURISM, ETHICS AND GLOBAL CITIZENSHIP: CONNECTING THE DOTS
3-6 July 2017
Apeldoorn, the Netherlands
Only recently we have witnessed the inclusion of ethics and global citizenship in tourism debates. The freedom of movement, the right to travel and simultaneously the rise of a multitude of alternative forms of tourism provide sufficient justification to discuss the manifold relationships between tourism, ethics and global citizenship in more detail. Although these concepts have been studied by various disciplines and as phenomena in their own right, in order to connect the dots in contemporary political and sociological thinking, it is important that scholars from different disciplines converse and debate in person. In particular, there is a need for understanding the relations and effects between the way we, as tourists or hosts, interact with each other and the environment and how people reflect on these encounters in terms of hospitality, inequality, human rights, poverty, movement and so forth.
This conference aims to contribute to strengthening academic and professional networks that are necessary to push forward the discussions of the manifold intersections of tourism with existing and emergent ethical approaches and forms of citizenship and discuss these concepts to apply new insights in our research, policy documents, daily practices, and so forth. Therefore, we invite all those working in tourism and hospitality studies, philosophy, business and management, culture and media studies, education, anthropology, sociology, psychology, geography, sports and leisure studies, heritage studies, as well as related fields to partake in this cross-disciplinary dialogue.
The following themes offer guidance for abstract submissions:
– Tourism practices and the moral debate
– Tourism and global citizenship
– Tourism, borders and security
– Tourism and human rights
– Tourism (im)mobilities
– Tourism and moral consumption
– Tourism and lifestyle politics
– Tourism, ethics and (social) responsibility
– Ethics in (hospitality) management and marketing
– Tourism education, ethics and global citizenship
We are very pleased to announce the following keynote speakers:
– Professor Claudio Minca, Wageningen University
– Dr Raoul Bianchi, University of East London
– Dr Clare Weeden, University of Brighton
– Dr Angela Benson, University of Brighton
The welcome reception will feature inspiring talks by:
– Mr Frank Oostdam, ANVR (Dutch Association of Travel Agents and Tour Operators)
– Professor Ruud Welten, Saxion University of Applied Sciences
– Professor Paul Peeters, NHTV, Breda University of Applied Sciences
Presentations and research posters are invited that address existing and emergent tourism, ethics and global citizenship issues and applications of impactful research. The deadline for submission of abstracts (max 500 words, excluding references) for peer review and a brief biographical note is December 1, 2016. Please send your documents to firstname.lastname@example.org<mailto:email@example.com>. Decisions will be communicated by January 31, 2017.
We are planning to publish a special issue from the conference to broaden the debate and expand the frontiers of knowledge to a wider audience. More information will be announced during the conference.
Submission of abstracts
December 1, 2016
Decision and reviewers’ comments
January 31, 2017
Last date for early bird registration
April 1, 2017
Deadline for registration
June 1, 2017
Saxion University of Applied Sciences, Apeldoorn campus, The Netherlands.
The conference fee includes a welcome reception, documentary screening, lunches, refreshments, and a conference dinner.
Participant of organising institutions
Early bird 345 euro / regular 395 euro
Early bird 395 euro / regular 445 euro
Accompanying partner / guest
Early bird 125 euro / regular 175 euro
Early bird 50 euro / regular 100
– The early bird registration deadline is midnight CET, April 1, 2017.
– Organising institutions include Saxion University of Applied Sciences, Wageningen University and NHTV, Breda University of Applied Sciences.
– The ‘accompanying partner/guest’ registration permits an individual to accompany a participant to the social activities (excluding tours). This is not for individuals who would otherwise need to pay for a full registration.
– The number of students is limited to 15 participants. Proof of status verifying full-time status is required to process your application.
Social activities and tours
All participants and accompanying guests/partners can subscribe to optional tours through the online registration form. Please note that these tours are not included in the conference fee.
Please visit the conference website www.saxion.nl/ctd<http://www.saxion.nl/ctd> for more information.
Dr Rami K. ISAAC
Senior Lecturer in Tourism
• Assistant Professor, Institute of Hotel Management and Tourism, Bethlehem University, Palestine, http://www.bethlehem.edu/academics/hotel/directory
• President Research Committee 50 (RC50) on International Tourism, The International Sociologist Association (ISA) (2014-2018), www.rc50.info<http://www.rc50.info/>
• Regional Editor: Middle East: Tourism Planning & Development, http://www.tandfonline.com/action/journalInformation?show=editorialBoard&journalCode=rthp21
• Editorial Board Member: Current Issues in Tourism, http://www.tandfonline.com/action/journalInformation?show=editorialBoard&journalCode=rcit20#.VSujnzj9mUk
• Editorial Board Member: Journal of Politics and Law, http://ccsenet.org/journal/index.php/jpl/about/editorialTeam
• Editorial Review Board Member: International Journal of Tourism Cities, http://www.emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/editorial_team.htm?id=ijtc
• Co-editor of “The Politics and Power of Tourism in Palestine” 2016 Routledge publication. https://www.routledge.com/products/9781138824706
Academy for Tourism
NHTV Breda University of Applied Sciences
P.O.Box 3917 – 4800 DX Breda,
Mgr Hopmansstraat 1, 4817 JT Breda,